Cabinet Update!

Hey guys! I decided to write a post about the cabinets because I couldn't get it all in the comments on FB, and I had a few other people message me for details. Hopefully you'll all see this and find the things I did helpful! 💕

The first thing I did was I sketched the layout of the kitchen and numbered each cabinet door. When I removed the door, I wrote it's number in a spot that wouldn't get painted. I put the hardware for each door in its own container. Maybe that wasn't necessary, but I really wanted to avoid getting screws mixed up somehow.

Secondly, I gave them a light sanding with my palm sander and 220 grit paper. Then I wiped them down with denatured alcohol. I think you could skip the sanding if you wanted to, but definitely clean them well.

After that I started priming. I wish I could remember the brand name 😕 I'd recommend Killz primer. It took almost a gallon to do 2 coats on 28 doors and to prime the kitchen. I lightly sanded in between coats to give it a smoother finish.

Then I began painting. It took 3 coats for the white doors, 2 for the gray. Once again, I don't remember the brand of paint we used. What I do know is that if I ever do this project again I will be using Sherwin Williams Emerald paint. After tons of reviewing over the last few days it seems to be an awesome product. I have a buffet I'll be working on soon and I'm going to try it out. It took almost a gallon of white paint, and 1/2 gallon of the gray.

As far as brushes go, I used Wooster 2" Thin Angle Sash. It was the BEST brush I've ever used. It's definitely worth the extra $$. For rolling, I used a 6" foam roller.

TIPS that made things easier...

1- If you need to store your brush or roller, wrap it in plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge. This will prevent them from drying out.

2- After you brush paint on roll over it to smooth it out.

3- Get more tarp/cloth/plastic than you think you'll need. It was super helpful to be able to lay the doors somewhere where I wasn't working.

4- Have something to set the doors on while painting, and ideally while they're drying. It makes it so they don't stick to whatever surface you're using. The kids have mega jenga blocks and those worked great. I honestly think even regular jenga blocks would work because it still puts distance between the table and door.

Feel free to ask anything, I'd love to help however I can 😊

God Bless 💗



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-loathing

Memories

This blogging thing is freaking me out